I had a pretty interesting issue with Data Dynamics Active Reports this week. Active Reports has proven itself to be a very reliable product with only a couple of minor issues which have been methodically ironed out by Data Dynamics so I was pretty perplexed to see this behavior.
Basically what happened was that I would instantiate a new Active Report, call its Run() method, and then nothing. Run() never completed and I was left with terminating the host process manually. Neat.
Luckily Data Dynamics forums came to my rescue and suggested that I add a reference to ActiveReports.Interop.dll to my project which I did and everything has been fine from that point on. I guess that at some point I’ve gotten the interop assembly from a previous version of AR deployed and my build was compiled with a newer version. So when I deployed I’d ended up in a situation where newer versions of all the other AR assemblies would reside in my bin folder along with the older version.