With the continued development of Omea the product just keeps getting better and better feature-wise, however one of the things which have been bothering me from v 1.0 is performance. Omea simply isn’t a very appealing application to use every day simply because of lacking performance, a shame.
Needless to say I was exited to find a post in the Jetbrains newsgroups with details on how to speed up Omea by making it run on the .NET Framework 2.0.
Here’s the lowdown from Michael Kent Werle:
I have no real data to back this up, but Omea "feels" much faster when I run it under .NET 2.0 by changing Omea Pro.exe.config to:
<requiredRuntime version="v2.0.50727" />
<httpWebRequest useUnsafeHeaderParsing = "true" />
(Thanks to Daniel Cazzulino for the tip on how to force Omea to load under .NET 2.0.)
In particular, I noticed this today when installing 2.1.1 -- it felt much slower until I realized that I had to re-do this change.
I was sceptical but it really does seem to have an impact on performance. Startup is faster and the UI is generally more zippy.