# Friday, 23 November 2007

I had a problem today where a file exported from a system was showing up correctly in my text editor but whenever I tried to re-import it elsewhere my special characters where messed up; ÆØÅ showed up as garbled characters.

Of course the reason for this is the fact that the export sets an old code page on the file which isn't recognized by the receiving system so I simply had to change the code page of the file.

My instinct was to go with UltraEdit but I didn't have a license around so I thought that Visual Studio probably would get the job done for me and it did but it isn't too obvious how to do it; not that UltraEdit is intuitive in this area either :)

  • Open the file in Visual Studio.
  • From the file menu select Advanced Save Options
  • Select the code page


Comments are closed.